Small Christian Communities
SCC TRAINING PROGRAM: 8TH & 9TH FEB 2017
Under the aegis of KROSS (Karnataka Regional Organization for Social Service), a SCC training program was organized in our parish on 8th & 9th Feb 2017, in the evenings from 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM. The program was conducted in 2 phases:
- 8th Feb: Visits to few houses in all zones of our parish
- 9th Feb: 7 steps Gospel sharing fellowship in 4 zones with families from other zones participating
Based on geographical proximity and for convenience, Parish zones were clubbed into 4 groups:
- Group 1 : OMBR Layout (Z- 2) & Kasturinagar (Z- 3)
- Group 2: Ex Svcmen Colony (Z-4) , Banaswadi (Z-5) & Vijaya Bank Colony (Z-6)
- Group 3: Chikkabanaswadi (Z-1) & HRBR Layout (Z – 7)
- Group 4: Babusayapalya (Z – 8) & Horamavu (Z – 9)
Each group was assigned a team of 2 priests/ Sisters & 1 lay person from KROSS on 8th & 9th Feb. Same team was with the group on both days. Particulars of the team members are given below:
|Assigned To||Name of Team Members from KROSS||Diocese|
Conduct of the Training Program
8th Feb: Teams from KROSS visited 2 houses in each zone. Families from the near vicinity gathered in the houses to interact with the teams. Introductions, getting to know each other better and exchange of experiences in other parts of Karnataka were highlights of the day, followed by a short prayer. The last house visited by the team hosted dinner for the teams.
9th Feb: One house in each group was nominated to host the Gospel sharing fellowship. Families from grouped zones got together and were joined by respective teams from KROSS. Pallottine Priests, Religious Sisters from Pallotti Nilaya and Maria Nilayam Convent also joined for Gospel sharing. Gospel from John 15: 5 – 10 was selected for reading and reflection, common to all groups. The 7 steps process of Gospel sharing was conducted by the host animator.
Towards the end, KROSS teams organized a short training session. Participants were organized into small groups. Narratives were given to groups with specific questions related to faith, charity and community development. Groups were asked to discuss the narratives among themselves and present their views. Excerpts from the Bible were also chosen for reflection, discussion and sharing of views.
At the end of the training session the teams from KROSS were honored with a small gift of love and invited for fellowship dinner.
Impact of Training
Three major features emerged at the end of the training program:
- The people who participated in the program were happy to meet one another and socialize. It gave all an opportunity to share their faith through Gospel reading and reflection
- The short training organized by KROSS teams relates to real life narratives. Group discussions helped the people to understand better the link between scriptures and Church teachings. Select excerpts from the Bible enlightened people of their role in reaching out to neighbors’ in need through love initiatives, evangelization and community building
- The people who got together to pray in homes experienced a new spirit of community relationship, which is ‘A new way of being Church’
The training was well received and appreciated by all participants.
Rev Fr Claudy Vas, Church Clergy, Religious Sisters of all communities in our parish and the SCC Lay members thank Rev Fr Thomas Vijay (National Director of SCC), Rev Fr George Lobo (Coordinator), Fathers, Sisters and Resource teams for organizing the SCC training program in St Vincent Pallotti Parish.
We express our gratitude for the time and effort that has gone into preparation for such a major event by KROSS and the National Director. We pray that God will continue to bless the growth of SCC in India and ask Jesus Christ to sustain this movement through better understanding of the Gospel by all people of the Catholic Church.
- Joseph Bantleman